Tyre Strategy in Sakhir
We are in Bahrain again this weekend for the final round of the FIA Formula 2 Championship.
We didnt get much movement on the eventual champion being crowned last week and it is very much all down to the wire over this weekend at the Sakhir GP.
We are not racing the same layout however, this time round we will be whizzing around what is called the “Outer Circuit”. This is a quick lap and almost a circle in layout.
Strategy will be all about slipstreaming and tyre management. Pirelli will have the tyre compounds Hard and Soft for this weekends event.
Mario Isola, Pirelli Head of Racing said;
“It’s great to have Formula 2 back in action for the final two rounds in Bahrain to decide the 2020 champion. While the outer track that is being used for the final event will be something completely new for everybody, the teams and drivers are mostly quite familiar with the regular Grand Prix layout. They tested there with the 18-inch tyres in March, so they will have some existing knowledge about how the tyres perform – although they have all learned a lot more since then, of course. For the final round, we have nominated the soft compound instead of the medium, alongside the hard tyre. It will be interesting to see the effect of this extra step between the compounds on a circuit that looks as though it will provide a very different challenge: even though it uses around half of the usual layout.”
Stick with us here at insideF2.com to keep up to date with all the news and action.
Here are all the times you need to know this weekend. All times are local. GMT +3
- Free Practice: 15:05
- Qualifying: 18:45 – Qualifying Report will be live on insideF2’s dedicated Round 12 – Bahrain page.
- Feature Race: Lights Out 15:10 / 48 Laps / 60 mins
- Feature Race: LIVE Lap by Lap. The live blogging session begins 15 Minutes before Lights Out.
- Feature Race: Race Standings and Report within 1 Hour of the Chequered Flag via our dedicated Round 12 – Bahrain page.
- Sprint Race: Lights Out 15:20 / 34 Laps / 45 mins
- Sprint Race: LIVE Lap by Lap – The live blogging session begins 15 Minutes before Lights Out.
- Sprint Race: Race Standings and Report within 1 Hour of the Chequered Flag via our dedicated Round 12 – Bahrain page.
- The Debrief will be published with all the action and reaction to the weekend’s action! We would love to get your opinions.
Let us know your thoughts @F2inside on Twitter and join our ever growing community of Formula 2 fans!
* Image Credit: Formula Motorsport Limited